Need a hand with maths or physics?

Maths and physics have never been easy subjects to master, but for many of today’s students, they’re more difficult than ever. Class sizes are usually so big that students don’t get the attention they need, and they may struggle to keep up with the fast pace of the lessons. Worst of all, only 19% of physics teachers in the UK are considered ‘physics specialists’; the remaining 81% have no academic background in the subject, and so often fail to communicate it effectively to their pupils.

As a professional physicist, I hold a Master’s degree in Physics with Astrophysics, and a PhD in X-ray Astrophysics. Over the last five years, I’ve successfully tutored maths and physics to students of all ages and abilities at Key Stage 2, Key Stage 3, SATs, GCSE and A-level. I also teach verbal and non-verbal reasoning, required for 11+ entrance exams.

When teaching, I first identify and address the weaknesses of each student, and adjust the pace and structure of the lesson accordingly. I then highlight the connections between the different parts of the syllabus to ensure that subject makes more sense, and teach exam technique to improve the final grades. Most importantly, I build the confidence of my students, increasing their self-esteem, and further improving their performance in all subjects.

Although it is better to seek help early, and to receive support throughout the course of study, I can provide emergency exam preparation if required – so if you think it’s too late, don’t panic! It is possible to make a difference with only a couple of lessons.

I’m based in Borehamwood, a short distance from Elstree and Borehamwood Station. If you require a friendly and supportive maths or physics tutor, for either weekly lessons or just a one-off, please get in touch.

Michelle Supper


  1. You mentioned that class sizes are usually so big that students don’t get the attention they need, and they may struggle to keep up with the fast pace of lessons. Do many schools offer after school tutoring or refer to online tutoring? My son has been having a lot of problems understanding the formulas in his physics class and is in need of some help. Finding a personal tutor or online help might be a good option for him.

  2. Hello Derek – thanks for your comment. Here in the UK, school classes are often 30 – 60 minutes long, but there are 30 pupils to teach. The teacher can’t possibly give each pupil meaningful individual attention, and instead will concentrate on the main body of the class. The most able don’t really need the teacher, and the majority of the class will be catered for. However, when one student starts to fall behind, there’s not a lot the teacher can do about it. Schools tend not to offer tutoring services, or even make referrals, since it undermines their own reputation to some extent. If your son is struggling with formulae in physics, it’s likely that his maths (algebra in particular) is also problematic. This is a problem which, if not dealt with soon, will only get worse, since maths is the language of science, and the further his studies progress, the more maths he will need, in physics, biology and chemistry. A personal tutor would be a great option for him; I suggest you find a person who is able to identify and treat the root cause of his difficulties, rather than simply teach the syllabus from a text book: He needs understanding, rather than knowledge. Good luck to both of you, and all the best.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *